Home > Uncategorized > T-Mobile Web’n’Walk Huawei E220 upgrade to 7.2Mbps

T-Mobile Web’n’Walk Huawei E220 upgrade to 7.2Mbps

November 17, 2008 Leave a comment Go to comments

It was while I was looking for the reason why my USB Broadband Modem wouldn’t connect to my Acer Aspire One, that I found an upgrade to the firmware. Huawei have issued their own, as have operators, and T-Mobile is one of them.

You can find the download page here. Note that T-Mobile advise not to install it unless advised. I’ve no idea if this is to limit uptake, or to stop people bricking their modems by accident (I nearly did). I advise you not to do it either 😉

Anyway – the first time I ran the update, it had trouble detecting the modem, and then when it did, it did fail during the upgrade. Drawing a deep breath, I disconnected/reconnected the modem, and tried again. This time, it did work.

And hey presto – 7.2Mbps!

However – right now, I’m only getting a max of 250kbps on my connection – it’s dog slow! It could be the rush hour, or it could be I’ve just foobared the modem, and this is what they’re warning against. Guess I’ll have to try it again tomorrow.

Advertisements
Categories: Uncategorized
  1. John Richards
    November 24, 2008 at 2:49 pm

    Did you manage to solve your speed problem with the E220? Does it still work on your Windows PC?

    I want to get this working for my wife’s new Aspire One, but I’m worried I’ll trash the E220 – and T-mobile’s technical support are being deliberately evasive and unhelpful.

  2. damo
    November 24, 2008 at 3:37 pm

    I hadn’t tried the reflashed device on the AAO, so I’m checking as I type.

    OK – first reaction is that I plug in the device, it detects it, and stays detected – on the older firmware, it kept disconnecting and reconnecting. So the versions seem more compatible and stable. I’m using the current vanilla, official release of Mobile Partner as downloaded from Acer’s Updates – 11.200.02.00.03.

    It connects OK – I can browse the web.

    And it’s extremely slow – the best rate I’ve hit is 25kbps. This is likely due to the ‘zero bars’ I’m getting on the signal indicator. I know where my nearest site is, so I might drop down there later on this evening, and check whether the speed picks up once I have a decent signal.

    So – in summary, it does seem to be working OK, and is less troublesome than the original firmware.

    D

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: